How 2 resolve conflicts
There are 2 scenarios where I use shuttle mediation:
- Highly escalated conflicts: There are scenarios where it is impossible for people to listen to each other. These are conflicts, that either have a long history or that are very personal. During the phase of analysis or during the first meeting I can usually see if a shuttle mediation is necessary. Hidden agendas are another indicator for the need of a shuttle mediation. With hidden agendas there is not enough trust to reach an agreement while the other party is in the the room. As a mediator I then decide to shuttle between the conflict parties. This way I can hear the whole story from both sides.
- Geographical distance: Very often conflict parties are not able to meet each other. In international companies a shuttle mediation works online as I talk to each party and support the negotiation of a settlement. During the corona-virus time I used shuttle mediation to reachdivorce settlements.
How does Shuttle Mediation work?
Shuttle mediation is a mediative conflict resolution style, where I
- talk to the conflict parties 1:1 (individually, on the phone, in person or via Skype or Zoom)
- find out what the conflict parties want to negotiate
- create an overview of possible solutions
- draft a negotiation & solution outline / agreement
- only bring the parties together if both sides agree and are able to do so.